There are a lot of these IKEA Ektorp Slip covered couches out in blogging land! In fact so many people have so many opinions about them I ended up PURCHASING one, against my better judgement and my HUSBANDS!
Could all of the review be TRUE? A white couch with a husband, three children, a brown dog, & friends? I mean Almost every person said the same thing, wash, hang to dry and a brand new couch? OK, I took the plunge and this is what I discovered!
Let's start with my first discovery!
- This couch has a 100% cotton cover and every dust bunny, every hair, every piece of clothing shows the lint on this couch. I was expecting dirty hand prints not lint.
- With that being said, a lint remover worked wonders. After I spent about 30 seconds cleaning it off it looks good as new again.
Next Item of Business!
- Washing the SOFA. I read the reviews of pulling the slip covers are a pain, a real workout.. I wanted to know what I had gotten myself into so out came the timer.
- I had the entire sofa stripped down to bare bones and in the washer in two minutes! WHAT! Craziness. And after the washing & drying cycle I spent about 3-4 minutes putting everything back together so about 6 minutes total. IT WAS SO EASY!
The washing cycle the BEST tip of the day!
- I washed the slip covers in cold water. There are reports that they shrink, they are extremely wrinkly, & DON'T use the dryer, etc. I have the SOLUTION for all of that! This is where the best TIP of the day comes in!
- After the covers were washed, shake and place in dryer on low heat. On my dryer it will stop on my desired dampness. Not all dryers have this option, turn the heat as low as it will go and run it for about 15 minutes. The cover should come out damp but not wet.
- Shake the cover out and PUT IT ON YOUR COUCH! Yes, put the damp cover on your couch. Straighten and pull as you go, make sure the bottom pleats are folded in nicely.
- Put the cushions back on and avoid sitting on the couch for a couple of hours. They will dry wrinkle free and you will have a brand new couch.
My covers did not shrink because of the low temperatures that were used.
Keep the lint roller handy for all of those pesky little pieces of fuz and you will have an amazing experience with your WHITE EKTORP COUCH!